Saturday, May 04, 2013

Lewis Carroll - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

When I first got my e-book-reader I downloaded a few of the free classics I always had wanted  to read. Of course I never got around reading those because there are so many new books who seem more attractive.
So it needed the book challenge to remind me of my forgotten classics. And although I could have found lots of other books published before 2000 (which was the task) I decided on Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland from 1865. It's not very long, only 124 pages and it was a fun read.
The story of course is well-known. On one afternoon young Alice travels through a rabbit hole into another mysterious country where she meets loads of strange creatures and grows and shrinks several times. Parts of the story are well-known from the many film adaptions and references in other books. But I was surprised by the absurdity of some of the situations, the nonsense, the creativity of turns and liguistic puns. I guess I only got half of them right as a non-native reader of English but I laughed out loud several times. It was a great read and I know now why this book has influenced so many authors and other artists. 
To read more about the book's history, symbolism or reception visit its wikipedia-page, it even has a list of all the characters and small articles about them.

No comments: