Thursday, January 21, 2021

Ryder Carroll - The Bullet Journal Method

I can't remember how or when I stumbled upon bullet journaling. I remember watching the videos on the bullet journal website and shortly after I started my first one. I'm in my seventh journal at the moment and that's probably the longest I ever constantly used a calender or planning device. This is just to clarify where I stood when Ryder Carroll published his book The Bullet Journal Method and I ordered it right away. 

In this beautiful book (mine is hardcover, black and gold, lovely pattern... as in the picture) Ryder explains how he came to develop the BuJo method and gives a step by step introduction how it works and how to use it. Of course there were parts I knew about because I was using the future log, the monthly log, doing the migration and so on. Some techniques I don't use and probably will never use but the system is highly adaptive to serve the user's needs.
I read this over a very long period of time, skipping parts, coming back to others. It can be used as a reference guide if you ever get stuck in your planning or want to get on with a bigger project and find out how to use your BuJo to break it down into manageable pieces and set your goals right.
It also explains how your bullet journal can be a good tool to pratice mindfulness - in every day reflections and gratitude logs but also in a much wider sense in setting your life goals. 

This book is great for starting a bullet journal (and it's not about drawing nice headlines, handlettering and putting lots of cute stickers and washi tape into it... although you can do that if you like...) and also good for exploring new things, new ways how your BuJo can help you to improve your life in many ways and help you on your way. Well done, Ryder Carroll, for putting it all together so neatly, with great illustrations and quotes. I will definitely keep this on the shelf nearby...

Ryder Carroll, The Bullet Journal Method. Track the past, order the present, design the future. Pengion, New York 2018.

No comments: