Sunday, June 24, 2018

E.B. White - Charlotte's Web

This is the story of a pig named Wilbur and his friends on a American farm in the 1950s. Published in 1952, Charlotte's Web by E.B. White (1899-11985) has been a children's classic for quite some time. It's not that popular in Germany so it's just now that I read it.
It's a cute story and Wilbur is a very friendly, terrific and radiant protagonist. It depicts a farm life long lost but its topics - life and death, becoming of age and friendship - remain.
The animal characters are lovable, I especially loved Charlotte, the spider, and I think it's great that an animal that isn't always loved plays this important, selfless role in Wilbur's life. Loved the language too. And I want a go on that swing...

One quote:
Why did you do all this for me?' he asked. 'I don't deserve it. I've never done anything for you.' 'You have been my friend,' replied Charlotte. 'That in itself is a tremendous thing.

And the illustrations by Garth Williams (1912-1996) are lovely too.

E.B. White, Charlotte's Web. Harper Collings 2003. (Nice hardcover edition...)

No comments: